Monday, September 10
*The Old Stone Age
*The New Stone Age; Rise of Civilizations
*Homework: Using the information in the textbook, Chapter 1, Section 2 until “Villages grow and prosper”, answer the following two questions:
1. Which advantages did domestication of animals offer Neolithic people?
2. How did the development of agriculture lead to the establishment of villages?
Tuesday, September 11
*Finish the Rise of Civilizations
*Homework: Read, outline Chapter 2, Section 1 to “Sumerian Culture”
Wednesday/Thursday September 12/13
*Open Notes Reading Quiz
*Hammurabi’s Law Exercise
*Homework: Read the excerpt from The Epic of Gilgamesh, answer the following questions. You can access the the document here
- What was the fate of the dead as revealed in Enkidu’s dream?
- What advice did the goddess Siduri offer Gilgamesh?
- Do you think this is a pessimistic text; if so, why; if not, why not?
Friday, September 14
*Discussion of The Epic of Gilgamesh
*Introduction to Egypt
*Homework: Read, outline, Chapter 2, Section 2 from “Egypt unites…” to “Egyptian Culture.”